Wednesday, 9 March 2011

At long last the results are in!!!

Anne Bebb very kindly got me to the hospital for my 9am appointment.  In the waiting room the duty Breast Care nurse came and explained they were still chasing up the results from Bristol and asked to continue to the Breast Care centre for that team to check my back and the  results should be in by the time we return.  I couldn't believe my ears and not feeling confident this would be case.  This cannot be happening for the 3rd time surely.  3 months I have been waiting for these results to be explained and my questions answered.  I couldn't hide my disappointment and Anne was more vocal then me.  
Regardless we went across to the BCC and got seen and I could tell that despite the discomfort I'm in and the episodes of breath stopping pain I am experiencing, the nurse was delighted at how well my back looked and that both sides looked nearly the same.  The Dr turned up and agreed that it looked better then when he aspirated the fluid in February.  We discussed my pain and discomfort and they agreed it would be better for me to have physio.  I am working my right side more and not exercising my left.  Also feeling is coming back so I will feel the pain.  It made sense to me so waiting for another referral to be processed.
Off we trot back to see the Oncologist.  After apologising for earlier we could now discuss my options as the results were now in.  Went through summarising events since being diagnosed in December first, then she explained how she wanted to manage my treatment and why.
She is requesting CT scans for restaging.  Risk of other sites being affected are low but has to be certain.  Only if other tumours showed up would she recommend Chemo as Cruella's sister is the same as Cruella (Hormone receptive fed off oestrogen). Also the Sentinel Node Biopsy being clear, confirming no cancer cells detected escaping through the lymph system. Happy with that.
Radiotherapy - Only issue that hits the parameters for this is that there were lots of multi focal LCIS found in the breast tissue.  The largest size was 13mm (which was confirmed as cancer) and the trigger is 20mm.  - Wasn't expecting that but happy with her decision.
Hormone treatment - Well Tamoxifen was not effective so they want me to use Arimidex. Before I can take that they need to know if I am post menopausal.  I confirmed I have had 3 blood tests and no conclusions have been made. I have now been advised to have my Mirena coil removed in order to have another blood test.  I did question this last year and the response I got was that this wouldn't make any difference.  Hey ho what do I know!!  If I am pre menopausal I will be given an injection to switch off my ovaries.
Couldn't have asked for better outcome really despite the dodgy start. Feels like a big weight off my shoulders. Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel... 

No comments:

Post a Comment